Vietnam has so much to offer and experience, to see and enjoy it all at the same time, one trip is rarely enough. Here you can expect dream beaches, majestic rice terraces, floating markets and the best dishes of Asia, but also a variety of nature and culture.
To help you decide where to go in Vietnam, our local experts have compiled the absolute highlights for you.
Hanoi is not only the capital of Vietnam and the starting point of most Vietnam journeys, but also the right address to soak up the hectic, noise, beauty and culture. Besides the hustle and bustle of the capital, you will also find some wonderful sights, streetfood markets and the authentic Vietnamese life. If you want to learn more about Hanoi, then take a look at our article about Hanoi.
- the popular water puppet show
- the possibility to attend an Asian cooking course
- Sights like Tran Quoc Pagoda, literature temple, ethnology museum
- the Hanoi night market at the weekend
- Lively street in HanoiLiterature temple in HanoiOn the way in autumnal mood at the Yen River in Hanoi
- Halong Bay
Probably the most famous place in Vietnam, protected by UNESCO, offers a picturesque backdrop of karst rocks, emerald green water, golden beaches and small, kitschy fishing villages.
In Halong Bay, you can organize boat trips lasting several days, walk through national parks and visit whole floating villages.
- Possibility of a kayak tour
- Relaxing on Ban Cha beach
- Visit of the floating village Vung Vieng
- Exploration of karst caves
- Possibility to get to know the island world during a several day junk trip
- Halong Bay in full splendorKayaking in Halong BayVietnam Halong Bay cruise
- Hoi an
The old town in Hoi An, which is also under the cultural protection of UNESCO, is one of the absolute sights of Vietnam. Japanese and Chinese buildings form the picture of the charming city and it is wonderful to walk through the alleys of the sleepy town.
- Guided tour through the old town
- Visit of the Hoi An night market
- Possibility of a cooking course
- Food on the beach
- Starting point for further journeys over the famous Wolkenpass to Hue
- Vietnamese woman at the front of houses in Hoi AnVietnam: Sunset on the river promenade in Hoi AnLively street of Hoi An
The imperial city of Hue awaits you with cultural treasures, temples and leads you into Vietnam’s past. From 1802 to 1945 Hue was the capital of the country.
- Sights like the Citadel, the Forbidden City and the Tu Doc Imperial Tomb
- Visit of the nearby village of Thuy Bieau on the Perfume River
- Tomb of the conqueror Khai Dinh in HueCitadel in Hue Vietnam Palace in Hue
- Mekong Delta
Where the mighty Mekong River south of Saigon flows into the sea in a labyrinth of tributaries and canals lies the Mekong Delta region. Here you will find floating markets, bubbling life and lush green nature between well-preserved ruins from the old days. Here you will find useful tips for your boat trip in the Mekong Delta.
- Visit of the floating market Cai Rang
- Relaxed boat tours on the side arms of the Mekong
- Several days or short bicycle tours through the tropical landscape
- Visit of the Vinh Trang Temple
- Ninh Binh
The province of Ninh Binh is known for its exciting karst landscape – similar to that of Halong Bay. However, in this region you will meet fewer tourists and have the opportunity to hike through the rainforest of the Cuc Phuong National Park, discover the caves of Tam Coc and enjoy the landscape by boat.
- Boat tour to the caves of Tam Coc
- Exploration of the karst landscapes
- Hikes in the tropical Cuc Phuong National Park
- On the way at Tam Coc River in Ninh BinhBoat trip in Ninh Binh at Ngo Dong RiverSunset in Tam Coc in Ninh Binh
Vietnam’s landscape could not be more different, and Sapa, in the north of the country, proves that. Nestled in a fascinating mountain landscape, Sapa is the perfect starting point for hikes through the Hoang Lien Son mountains. Here you will also encounter quaint villages, ethnic minorities and experience an El Dorado for active travellers.
- adapted mountain hikes
- Visit of the colourful market Bac Ha
- authentic overnight stays in Homestays
- Vietnam: Hiking in SapaRice fields in SapaHmong village in Sapa
- Mu Cang Chai
In the heart of the northern highlands are probably the most majestic rice terraces in Vietnam. Here you can expect relaxed hikes off the main tourist paths and authentic stilt houses surrounded by rice fields. This area has a lot to offer, especially for the tranquil, culturally interested and active traveller.
- Hikes through the picturesque surroundings
- traditional stilt houses
- cultural heterogeneity
- probably the most beautiful rice terraces
- Vietnam: Hiking in Mu Cang Chain rice fields in Yen BaiMu Can Chai province Rice terraces in Vietnam
- Ho Chi Minh City
The largest and most populous city in Vietnam is also known as Saigon due to its colonial history and is full of unexpected surprises. Here you will find the Vietnamese Notre-Dame Basilica, the Chi Chi tunnels from the time of the Vietnam War and the famous Ben Thanh Market. Discover the highlights of Ho Chi Minh.
Ho Chi Minh Highlights:
- City tour through the old Saigon: Ngoc Hoang Pagoda, Thien Hau Pagoda
- the Chi Chi tunnel system from the Vietnam War
- the possibility of day trips to the Mekong Delta
- Statue in SaigonPalace in Ho Chi Minh Vietnam market bicycle
Ready for your Vietnam adventure?
Vietnam is full of surprises and has something for everyone, from hiking in Sapa to relaxing beaches in Halong Bay to cultural highlights in the cities.
You are convinced and want to explore the diversity of Vietnam? Beautiful country you should not miss!