With its calming beaches, extravagant cuisine, and rich history, Vietnam is a rewarding destination. As for the pre-visit requirements, we are here to make the process completely hassle-free. Read on to understand the intricacies and details of photographs for the visa application and processing.
The Vietnam Visa Photo Size requirement is 4 x 6 cm. However, the Vietnamese immigration accept most standard passport picture dimensions. You can apply for your Vietnam Visa online here.
There are three ways to apply for a visa. These are: from an embassy, online, or on Arrival. In all cases, the size of the photograph required is the standard one, that is, 4×6 cm. However, there are many specifications that you need to follow to produce the perfect photograph. Read on for smoother navigation through the entire process.
What other specifications do I need to keep in mind?
Other details that you need to keep in mind are:
- There is no head sizing required. The Vietnamese government is relaxed and does not have any particular photographic proportions that you need to adhere to.
Do not keep the camera too close or too far away from your face. The picture will be accepted as long as your facial features are clear and distinguishable.
- Ensure that the background is white. Colorful backgrounds or patterns are not allowed and will be rejected on Arrival. Make sure there are no smidges, you can opt for editing the background if required.
- The eyes should be visible and staring directly into the camera. Prescription glasses are allowed as long as they don’t have thick frames. Do avoid dark and tinted lenses. The glasses shouldn’t reflect light or be foggy; your eyes should be visible clearly.
- Smiling isn’t necessary, and a neutral expression is required. Keep your mouth relaxed with a calm expression, as is the rule for all visa/ passport photographs.
- There should be no hair on the face. Loose strands should be clipped back, allowing a clear view of your face. Ensure that fringes aren’t covering your forehead.
- Big hats or hairpieces are not allowed. Anything that is distracting and takes the attention away from your face should be avoided. Relaxations may be made for headpieces for religious or medical reasons. Make sure you are carrying evidence of your medical condition.
- Avoid gaudy jewelry. If necessary, opt for minimal silver/gold jewelry that doesn’t reflect light and/ or isn’t distracting or shiny.
- Make sure that the lighting is even. Ensure there are no shadows on your face.
- The photographs should be printed out on professional photo paper. Avoid normal/ average quality paper at all costs.
When should I click my photograph for the visa?
It is necessary to take a photograph for your visa application not more than six months before your travel. It is specified that your photograph shouldn’t be more than six months old. This is done to ensure zero cases of imposters.
You need to prepare well in advance if you are traveling to Vietnam.
The photographs can be black and white or colored, as you find convenient.
Where/ how will I need to use my photographs?
The place of deposition of your photographs depends on the method of travel/visa you’ve opted for.
In case you will be traveling by sea/land, Visa on Arrival is not available for you. You will need to apply for your visa through an embassy or online, before your departure. You will need to fill in your application form carefully and attach your photographs on the application forms. The specifications are the same as mentioned above.
In case you will be traveling by air, you are eligible for the Visa on Arrival. In this case, you will need to carry two photographs complying with the above-mentioned specifications, with yourself. Deposit these and follow guidelines once you arrive at one of the four Vietnamese international airports.
What should I do with the photographs on Arrival in Vietnam?
If you have applied for Visa on Arrival, you must be carrying two photographs already. Find the center of deposition, wherein you will need to fill up an Entry/Exit form. One of the photographs will be glued onto this form. Keep the other one safe with yourself. It will be required in case the officials want to check or verify something.
After you have successfully completed this procedure, you are free to leave and explore this wonderful country.
What will happen if I forget my photographs?
It is quite often the case that a traveler may forget to bring the photographs/lose them in transit. Or, there might be some problem with the photograph, leading to rejection.
There is no need to panic if this happens with you. Stay calm as there are plenty of provisions available at the airport.
On landing, you will find that there are photo booths available on hand at the airports. These are mostly cheap, costing around the USD 2. Develop the photographs and follow the directions provided by the officials to ensure a smooth procedure.
Do children need their own visas? Is there any age limit?
Yes, children and infants of all ages need their own visas to travel to Vietnam. There are no age limits.
So, if you are planning a family vacation, make sure you apply for visas for the youngest members of the family well in advance.
What are the requirements for Visa photograph for infants? Are the rules different?
It can be hard to obtain proper photographs of infants. Often, these photographs are rejected upon Arrival. We are here to make the process easier and without faults.
Here are a few more specifications, apart from the ones already provided to make the process easier, and to ensure that the photograph is accepted:
- Make sure no one else is in the photograph, apart from the child. This is the primary reason why photographs are rejected.
- There shouldn’t be any toys/ bottles/ pacifiers in the picture. The picture should be exclusive of the child.
- In case the photo is being taken as the child is lying down or sitting in a chair, ensure that the background is white and clean.
- Make sure that the eyes are open and hands aren’t obstructing the face.
- Other specifications remain the same.
Do different countries have different rules for the Vietnamese visa?
The rules for visa applications are the same for citizens of all nationalities. Barring a few countries whose citizens don’t need visas to travel to Vietnam for a specific number of days, the laws are universal.
There is no need to fret if you have a multinational group of people for whom you’re applying, the rules are uniform.
What other documents will I require for the visa verification process at the airport?
Once you land, there are a number of documents you will need to keep on hand for the Visa verification process.
Here is a comprehensive list that accounts for all the documentation you might possibly need:
- Printed approval letter from the embassy that you receive before departure.
- Filled entry/exit form. Attach one of the photographs here.
- Another passport size photo.
- Stamping fee for the visa (US $45 for single entry and US$90 for multiple entries)
If you have adhered to all the instructions, the visa application and processing should be a breeze. Visa approval letters can be acquired in as short as 4-6 working hours if required.
At the longest, they will take 3-4 working days. Follow all directions provided by the authorities for a safe journey.