Vietnam is a country in Southeast Asia. It is rich in biodiversity, peppered with gorgeous beaches, meandering rivers, and historical attractions. Are you are on your way to Vietnam on business or delightful travel experience, but forgot to apply for a visa beforehand? Worry not, here is everything you need to know about the procedure and requirement for an emergency visa to Vietnam.
Vietnam provides an option to obtain a visa on arrival for emergency reasons. The time it may take to process varies from 30 minutes to a few hours. It is a quick, smooth, and expeditious process. Usually, applicants receive their Letter of Approval within 1 or 2 days.
Are you eligible for a Vietnam Visa on arrival?
A Visa on arrival in Vietnam is not very tricky to obtain. Be it a spontaneous holiday to Vietnam or a business trip at the eleventh hour, applying for an Emergency Visa can save you. Here are the key things you should keep in mind:
- A Visa on arrival is only applicable if you are traveling by air.
- You have to arrive at one of the specified International Airports of the country to get your visa stamped on arrival.
- If you are a green card holder, you cannot apply.
- If you own a temporary passport, you cannot apply either.
- On arrival at the airport, you must have your Letter of Approval with you. Without this, you cannot get an emergency visa.
The above 150 countries are known to be eligible for a Vietnamese Visa. Here is a list of most countries that are eligible for an Emergency Visa on arrival in Vietnam:
|Areas||Countries||Eligible or Not Eligible|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Eligible|
|Republic of Ireland||Eligible|
|Trinidad and Tobago||Eligible|
|United States of America||Eligible|
How to apply for an Emergency Visa?
Firstly, you have to check whether your country is eligible for an Emergency Visa or not. Once you have checked this box, you can apply for your visa online. Contact your travel agent or get in touch with a visa application agency.
Apply for a Letter of Approval, which you must have if you want to get your visa on arrival. Without it, you will not be granted a visa. After you fill in the necessary details and mention the urgency of your visa requirement, you have to pay a service fee. Then you have to wait for your visa to be processed.
After you have received a confirmation from your agent, you may board your flight and enter Vietnam. The Immigration Office will issue your visa on arrival once verification has been done.
Steps to follow for your Visa Application
You need to get in touch with a travel agency or a visa application agency and apply for the Letter of Approval. This is a legal document provided by the Vietnam Immigration Department. It allows you to get your visa stamped at the airport on arrival.
You will be directed to your agency’s website portal. Here you have to supply your passport information, flight details, and specify the time within which you need to obtain your visa. Following which, you pay the service fee required.
On arrival in the country, you must have your printed Letter of Approval, along with some other documents plus the visa stamping fee to get your visa stamped directly.
You must arrive at any of the International Airports in Vietnam to get a Visa on Arrival.
Which are some of the International Airports where you can be issued a Visa on Arrival?
- Noi Bai International Airport in the capital city of Hanoi.
- Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Cat Bi International Airport in the City of Hai Phong.
- Da Nang International Airport in Da Nang City.
- Phu Quoc Island Airport.
- Cam Ranh Airport in the City of Nha Trang.
What are the Documents you need to get for your Visa stamp?
Before you arrive at the airport and move towards Immigration, you have to ensure that you have some essential documents with you. The following are mandatory for a Visa on arrival:
- You should have a clear printed copy of the Letter of Approval with you.
- You will also need your Passport. It should have a minimum of two blank pages for the stamp.
- The Entry and Exit Form, which you have to fill and sign prior to submission at the Immigration Office.
- Two passport-sized photographs, taken within the last six months, as per proper guidelines.
- You should have the required stamping fee to be paid in cash.
- You will only get your visa stamp if all the information provided is found up to date and correct on verification by the Immigration Office.
Some key points to remember about your photographs
There are some specific things you need to remember about the photographs essential for getting your visa stamped:
- Two photographs are needed, either in passport size (2 x 2 inches) or Vietnam standard photograph size (4 x 6 cm)
- The size of the chin to the top of your head in the photo must be approximately 1 to 13/8 inches.
- They should be identical and taken within the last six months.
- The photographs must be in color
- Your face should be clearly visible.
- You should stand against a plain, white or light color background.
- No hat or headgear is allowed, your face should be clearly seen.
- Make sure your ears and forehead are clearly visible as well.
- Avoid dark glasses
- Casual attire is required for the photographs, avoid wearing uniforms while taking them.
- Although you can also get them taken at the airport in case you were in a hurry and forgot, it is best if you have your photographs ready beforehand.
What does a Vietnam Visa on arrival cost?
There are two kinds of fee that you have to pay for obtaining the visa:
- Service fee: This is paid to the travel or visa application agency in return for a Letter of Approval, which is mandatory to get your visa stamped on arrival. It is paid online.
- Stamping fee: This is the fee you pay on arrival in Vietnam to get your visa stamped and approved by the Immigration Office at the airport. It has to be paid in cash.
How much time does an Emergency Visa usually take to process?
The time your visa takes to process may depend upon the nature of the emergency and the information you give your agent.
It may take anywhere between 30 minutes to a few hours or a few days. Usually, applicants receive their Letter of Approval within 1 or 2 days. It is necessary that you mention your time constraints to the agency through whom you are applying. You may have to pay extra for really quick processing.